Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Give thanks because the truth is we all have so much to be thankful for


Today I'm extremely Thankful for many things.  Thanksgiving is approaching soon, and my boys are filled with excitement of the holidays and mainly being able to stay home from school.  Who would have guessed?

To start, I'm thankful for all of you who take time out of your crazy busy schedules to read my blogs!  I can't believe I have twelve readers in Russia, but I have many goals.   I desperately want you all to be encouraged, given hope, and to know that you may be able to relate to my writings.  I remember the first time I read a book written by a Christian woman.  I could NOT believe there was a person in this world who had felt how I've felt, been down some of the same paths I've traveled, and never lost her focus on God!  I was very inspired and comforted to know I'm not alone in my ways of thinking.  The book was a blessing!

I'm very thankful that I inspired a friend who is hurt from a recent divorce to put up a Christmas tree even though they didn't want to (Hey, I know exactly how that feels!  I don't really WANT to either, but I HAVE to)!  Their children will be thankful and blessed!  Way to go, sweet friend!  You know who you are and I'm very proud of your courage!  I know it's not easy, but you did it!  I'll give you a gold star for your refrigerator!

I'm also thankful that I have both of my boys on Thanksgiving (well most of the day, but hey, I'll take it any day!) & that we will be able to give thanks & be around those we love.  My goal is to teach my boys the reason behind Thanksgiving & Christmas.  I've already been working with my seven year old year after year. Tonight at dinner when we continued our nightly dinner question of "What are you thankful for?" he responded "God & food, mom!"  I can't tell you how happy that makes me!  Immediately after Thanksgiving we will begin our new Christmas traditions and bring out the "Elf on the Shelf," who is new to our home this year and one of our new traditions!  "Buddy" takes some effort, but the boys LOVE him!

I'm extremely blessed to have an amazing family and genuine friends.  I realize that not everyone can say the same.  I've always had a family who has supported me through everything in life.  I know that's hard to come by.  They might not like it, might not agree, but they always give me their unconditional love and support.  I think that's the way it's supposed to be. 

I've learned the hard way whom I can trust, who just wants to know our struggles, and who is genuinely there for me through good & bad.  I never knew until recently that some people LOVE to hear about others struggles and problems to make them feel better about their lives.  I know, I know, I guess I've been living under a rock!  I don't understand it, but I don't have to.  I found out who my genuine friends were when my life wasn't so glamorous.  There was a house fire & a divorce filed all in one week.  I saw who came around then and I was heartbroken to know that these "friends," weren't ever really that great. The same goes for this point and time in my life.  It's not so glamourous.   It's odd to say the least at this point to invite over a few married couples and their children.  I'm sure it would be fine, but I'm not ready for all of that just yet.  It's hard to find genuine people who don't mind spending time with this single mom and her two super energetic children!  We will find our place and have already started.   I strive to be a great friend.  I'm busy, so I don't have much time to call each and every one of them as often as I'd like, but I try. 

The difference is, my friends that are there through thick and then are all busy, mostly married, and most of them have children.  They are also adults who act like adults!  We can go months without having more than a ten minute conversation and it's like nothing has changed in our friendships.  The reason is we understand that life gets busy!  God comes first, and family comes second in my home.  Period. 

"About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all."

That one is one of my  absolute favorite quotes.  It's so very true.  I'm blessed that my family & friends love me for me.  I'm not too concerned with the ones who only love how I can help them & the ones who don't like me. 

My boys and I are planning a Thanksgiving to remember!  I have a hyped up seven year old boy who was given too much soda (this makes me cringe) at dinner, but kudos to grandmother for preparing dinner for my little family!  We aren't ever able to sit down and have a calm meal.  It's inevitable that one of the boys will spew milk through their nose from all the laughing, but that's exactly how I like it!  This means we are VERY careful where we go, because for some reason a seven year old and a sixteen month old that are both FILLED with PURE ENERGY to last for months can induce stress to some.  I can't begin to imagine why (please note my intended sarcasm).  We are just us and I think it's mandatory to have fun with my boys.  Their little lives will not be filled with strict rules, saying "No" to most things, and constant nagging or punishment.  In my encounters as a mother of seven years, I've learned that positive reinforcement works so much better than constant punishments and throwing out consequences.  Yes, it's needed SOME, but time out works wonders for my two boys who hate to be still!

I can't wait to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade with the little sweeties in between cooking a dish or two to contribute to a huge Thanksgiving meal!  I'm thankful for their health.  Thus far, we've been blessed with great health with both boys except a  BAV heart condition (that's a whole different blog).  I've been blessed with an amazing home, an incredible job, wonderful co-workers & board members, plenty of food, water, clothes, & all the necessities as well as more than we need.  I could go on and on, but I'll spare you. 

Every year, I make the boys clean out their toys. They have no choice but to give quite a few (almost half) to children who don't have any toys.  I hope I'm teaching them to be compassionate, giving, and about God's love.  Children are supposed to think "me, me, me," but I'm trying my hardest to teach them about others. 

Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loves a cheerful giver.  2 Corinthians 9:7
I've always had a strong burning desire to travel to Africa to do mission work.  I ignored it for years.  It never went away.  I know this is God.  It's no coincidence my seven year old is OBSESSED with Africa.  I promised myself when we moved here without much family that we were going to make it no matter what came our way.  God has proved that to be true.  I've also made a promise to myself and to God that if he will provide the way, I will take my seven year old to Africa and we will do mission work.  I can only imagine the hate mail I may get about my bad parenting, but I think it's a fabulous idea and I'm excited to get him his passport and start saving for if and when the day comes.  I LOVE the way God works in our lives.

Dear friends, if you haven't already, develop a heart of thankfulness.  A heart of compassion & forgiveness.  If you have all of these traits, it's impossible not to show love in our actions.  Anyone can do something nice for the recognition, but make it come from your heart.  It will show in your attitude, work, home, and everywhere else.  When I'm hurt by the world or people, I pray for the situation and use specific names.  I forgive them and try to open my heart with love.  It's so much better that way. 

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.  1 Thessalonians 5:18


Jesus loved me when he shouldn't have.  I'm certain I wasn't making him happy, but he knew my heart and never let go of me.  I'm so blessed and I don't deserve it.  Words can't express. 

I wish you all blessings, happiness, encouragement, hope, laughter, and memories that will rock your little families this Thanksgiving holiday!  Let's all hope I don't have to pull out a bigger size in jeans!  I hope it's the best Thanksgiving in the history of Thanksgivings and I'm determined to make it just that for my little family!  Remember to let God know what you are thankful for instead of what you want from him (you can all do that for one day)!  Give thanks, because the truth is we ALL have SO MUCH to be THANKFUL for!  Keep smiling and shining & hopefully you all can enjoy some time off from your careers and spend it with those you love the most!  God bless you all!





This photo was taken by me in Honduras while sharing God's love with this family and sweet children.  Circa July 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment