Sunday, November 27, 2011

Walk On



I hope you all had the best, happiest, most amazing Thanksgiving ever!  It was great to see most of my family members and enjoy it to the best of my ability.  I cooked a small dish and made my first EVER chimichurri sauce.  Brace yourself…. It was good AND it’s an Argentinean sauce that I successfully made on my first attempt!  I put on my bravest “game face,” pretended things were as normal as ever and tried to not recognize that this year’s Thanksgiving was very different.  Things went well until the child swap.  My youngest had a meltdown.  Not just any meltdown, I mean the clinging, wailing, “Mommy, mommy” kind!  My heart was shattered to say the least. I tried to assure him that he would have such a wonderful time with dad, got in my car and cried as I drove away.  I knew it would be the longest I had been without seeing him. 
After that, I lost the ability to pretend I was better than ever.  I explained to the host of Thanksgiving dinner, who happened to be my mom, got in my car and did THE DUMBEST thing ever!  I drove and shopped on Thanksgiving Day!  Keep in mind, I am NOT a black Friday shopper, but this wasn’t black Friday, so I figured only one store I was interested in would be open.  It was!  I bought things I didn’t need, but I swear it was worth every dime to attempt to remove my focus from the reality and place it somewhere else so I could be at peace.   I couldn’t even sleep in my own home Thanksgiving night.  I’d had enough and I’ll be really honest with you, I just wanted it to stop and to be over.   Sweet readers, when life is hard, hold your head high, smile that pretty smile, and walk on. 

"My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength off my heart; he is mine forever."  Psalm 73:26
 The WONDERFUL news is that on Sunday I mustered up the courage to call and see if we could do the child swapping a day sooner.   I wasn’t amazed that he agreed, but I was THRILLED to pick up my sweetie and share the last night of Thanksgiving break with my little family!  I’m blessed. 
                The day after Thanksgiving I was wondering what I did before I had children.  I’m sure I must’ve been the most bored woman in the world!  I may have even had time to watch TV, talk on the phone, see friends, and I’m thinking my house was immaculate in those days!  I wouldn’t change the way things are now for the world!  Didn’t take me long to get busy!  I used my two little helpers, my oldest son and nephew and let them decorate the Christmas tree as tacky as they wanted it!  The old Robin, would’ve had to have the PERFECT tree & I’m so thrilled to tell you that it didn’t bother me one bit to have a Christmas tree that my son and nephew think is the coolest thing they’ve ever seen and they made it!  Maybe I’m at least a halfway cool mom!
After the my seven year old and my nephew spent the day at grandmothers, I was alone.  I cleaned, but that wasn’t enough to keep me EXTREMELY busy!  I rearranged the living room, my youngest son's  room, had my seven year old go through ALL of his toys so we can donate them to charities & churches to ensure that the needy children get a visit from Santa.  I hope this will continue to make his gigantic, compassionate, giving heart continue to grow!  I rearranged the home office, and tried to organize (only to move again this week) the work office which still remains at home.   All this moving led to some icy hot on my back, a bloody finger, and a mommy who had worked hard physically to get through the day of being home alone without my sweeties!
During Thanksgiving break, I was also able to relax and enjoy some much needed friend and adult time (this equates to “me time”).  Sounds so selfish doesn’t it?  Call me selfish.  I’m okay with that.  However, I rarely take time for myself and two days of doing not much of anything (this is a new foreign concept to me that ACTUALLY EXISTS!) did this mommy a world of good!!  Again, I’m SO blessed and my batteries are re-charged, ready to take on the new school and work week.  Bring it on!
Our little family was blessed in a so many way s these past few days.  I can’t wait to share those blessings with you one day!  I’m certain they are from God, because I’ve prayed for both of them.  God is so good to us and I’m so thankful!  I think that four and a half day Thanksgiving break has spoiled this mommy somewhat.  I believe we all deserve a little bit of spoiling, since most of us spoil our children or have family/friends that do it for us!

I hope you all have an amazing week! I’m hoping you all had a normal or Norman Rockwell painting of a Thanksgiving.   If you didn’t have the “picture perfect” Thanksgiving, you aren’t alone.  I know it must have been hard. When things are tough, just walk on.  Keep going, praying, thanking God, and doing your best.  That’s all I know to do and I do it often.  Please know that I’m extremely proud of you all for giving & doing your best to enjoy the holiday.

"It's what we trust in but don't yet see that keeps us going" 2 Corinthians 5:7

  I am so excited to say that the days following Thanksgiving were astounding and I’m so thankful that God knew this mommy was tired and gave me rest and sent me the best people to be beside me every minute of the much needed break.   Many thanks to those amazing people!  You all are the best!  Tonight I’m giving thanks after Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment