Monday, December 5, 2011

Opportunity Knocks

The beginning of the month means many things to this mommy.  It means different things depending on the month.  This month it entails two work events approaching in the next two weeks (no pressure at all), Christmas parties, the beginning of winter, child support if we are blessed, and the best part is CHRISTMAS VACAY!!!  I can't wait for the boys to be out of school for a couple of weeks!

Normally, it would have meant running around like a mad woman to make sure my sweeties had everything (or close to) that they had asked for from Santa.  This year, I took one day and four hours and headed to Toys-R-US on a mission! My youngest (the sixteen month old) was SUPER easy!  I went to the characters he liked, checked age, looked for some educational toys, and put it in the cart!  

I had help from my oldest.  My seven year old took a sharpie and boldly circled everything he "could not live without." How easy is that? The only problem was, I second guess myself.  I had a budget partnered with coupons and I've explained to you all how I feel guilty for raising them in a broken home, the lack of involvement with dad, and so on.  Therefore, I spent too much, got EVERYTHING on the list out of guilt.  I know better.  It just seemed like the thing to do and I still don't regret it. 

I've told him that Santa sends mommy a bill so I could indirectly teach him a "life lesson" about how not many things in life being free and how we don't always get everything we want, but we get what we need.  Before your mind starts racing, no I didn't buy my sweet boys socks or underwear!  I DID buy them some candy that reads "A lump of Coal," for their stockings.

Recently, my seven year old decided to make it a habit for the past four nights to given me fifty reasons he shouldn't sleep in his bed.  What goes on when my children are away from me with family, has to be okay with me, right?   It's help and it costs zilch!

Tonight we've taken on visitation rights with my seven year old son's cat, Sammy.  Sammy lives with Grandmother, but is going to be traveling to our house at night and returning the following morning.  This idea was my bright one to help my oldest son sleep in his own bed at night.  Have I mentioned I don't like cats?  Sammy has been hanging out on the deck when he needs to do his business, and in the house the rest of the time. Of COURSE his favorite room in the house would be my room and bathroom.  I've been so patient thus far, but we are less than one night into cat visitation!   This is quite an adjustment, but I'll do near anything to ensure both of my sweeties sleep all night and in their own beds!

Last week I had a bad day and a wonderful friend of mine delivered an angel.  Literally!  God knows when it's needed, and I needed it that day.  I firmly believe that he speaks and works through others. 

I believe that God closes doors and opens bigger, better doors for a reason.  I have a strong faith in God.  I never "found God," I just opened my eyes and took a long look around.  God has opened the best doors for me at the right time (which is his time, not mine), and for that I am blessed beyond comprehension & forever grateful for the little things in life that I used to take for granted.

Lately, I've been ultra patient with my sweeties.  The seventeen month old is in teething hell.  That's no understatement.  I have a goose egg on my forehead if you don't take my word for it!  I love him so much & my heart hurts for him that he's in pain.  My head also hurts from the lack of sleep, but I've bought some vitamins and hopefully that will help me take off like a rocket ship! 

Tomorrow night is a night at church for all the women and lots of my friends are attending.  I'm ecstatic!  I've never heard her speak, but I used to read her blogs.  After I knew she was locked into coming, I stopped reading her blogs so that I would know nothing she might speak on.  I feel led to go, so I'm going and I've invited all my friends.  Saturday will be mission work at a women's prison.  I don't know what it entails other than giving up a Saturday and eight hours spent in a large facility with felons.  I can't wait!
I hope you are all having a relaxing Monday!  I'll tell you, if you want to relax, do NOT take your sweeties grocery shopping and hopping solo!  I promise!  My sweetie dumped a whole bag of gold fish in a small community grocery on purpose!  What can you do?  I just smiled and told an associate that my son had dumped his goldfish and we were sorry.  He didn't make a big deal of it, but my patience were wearing thin after the "eerios (cheerios)" were purposely thrown out of the cart as well!  The doctors wonder why I have high blood pressure (this is a new thing that's less than two years old).  I can't think of ONE reason I would have anything but normal blood pressure!  I KNOW that I eat healthy so I'm sure cholesterol isn't the issue.  Either way, I sucked up my hate for maintenance medications and I take the blood pressure pill at night. 

I hope you are all shining with your winning smiles and personalities, giving every ounce of love you can give to those you cherish most.  I've been two one visitation this week and would have been to more if babysitting weren't an issue.

When opportunity knocks, answer the door!  Many new and exciting opportunities have come my way lately.  I'm so blessed!  I can't wait to share them with you!  I'm beyond thrilled about them all!  I'm so excited & it's been a LONG time since I've been this excited!  Great things are happening!

 Take care of yourselves and be the light, strength, and hope that others see.  You may be the only role model and God that others see.  Keep that in mind and notice an attitude change.  You are all wonderful people to me and I think you are all doing a phenomenal job!  Keep up the hard work.  God answers prayers and is still in the miracle business! Make it a GREAT week!  Remember:  "Don't sweat the small stuff & it's all small stuff."

No comments:

Post a Comment