Saturday, May 26, 2012

Miracle Business

Happy LONG weekend sweet friends!  I hope you are all soaking up the Memorial Day weekend sun and enjoying time with your precious loved ones. 

Normally, I don't re-read my blogs after I've posted them (if you see grammatical errors, I apologize in advance.  It IS my pet peeve, but I usually don't have that much time on my hands).  Today, I decided to scan the last title which is "Worst Case Scenario."  I also remember the meaning of the blog was to think positive in ANY given situation.

The past seven days have been some of the toughest days of my life thus far.  A friend of mine and the families had a horrible car accident exactly a week ago today. The hospitals around here couldn't handle the trauma & he was air-lifted immediately to a wonderful trauma center in another state. On Sunday, we were told there was little brain activity, major head trauma with swelling of the brain, a skull fracture, & he was in a coma.  No one (including myself--I'm guilty) seemed to have much hope.  The medical professionals all said to prepare for the worst because he had greater chances of death than survival. I prayed to God for a miracle and I knew if he was going to make it, he would need a miracle that only God could perform due to his rapidly decreasing health status. I try to practice what I write, but this case was extremely difficult (that would be a HUGE understatement). 

The world never stopped spinning, & I had to carry on with work and my sweet boys.  I don't cry in front of my sweeties, but I think most of those who know me best have seen me fall apart lately.  I felt like a terrible mother because my children were shuffled from their aunt, dad, basketball camp, and daycare.  Thank goodness I have an amazing sister who is always stepping right up to the plate to help out.  She doesn't ever question things.  She just does what is needed.  I couldn't have even visited the Intensive Care Unit out of state without her and my brother-in-law.  Bless their hearts (my family and my sweet boys).  Thank you wasn't enough.  I don't think I could have made it had I not visited the hospital. 

Yesterday marked the sixth day.  Those six days were packed full of prayers and I'm thankful for each and everyone who prayed and those who continue to pray!  Keep it up!  God hears our prayers and knows our hearts.  I'm guessing during the beginning, I went into shock and remained in what I refer to as "robot mode," or "survival mode."  Both terms mean focusing ONLY on the obvious (taking care of the boys, eating, sleeping, etc.), you know the basics.  I've searched my Bible and read and studied harder this past week than ever before. 

"For we walk by faith and not by sight."  2 Corinthians 5:7

Days were spent on the phone with pastors, preachers, family, & friends.  I called California and people that far west didn't question anything, they just prayed and will continue.  I'll be the first to tell you all that I wasn't bursting with hope.  I had an ounce of hope, but I wasn't hearing from God like I thought I would be (remember I told you all that God works in my life on his own terms and not mine?).  Shock was replaced by reality and sadness and anger immediately followed. 

Yesterday, I received the daily news update in the morning. Brain swelling was up and down and he was FINALLY taking food via a feeding tube. I knew the first seventy-two hours were the most critical, but after they passed the doctors told us he would need to make it seven to ten days before they would know anymore.  Remember how I prayed and asked others to pray for a miracle?  I specifically asked that no one question the reason for the prayers for miracles, because I think everyone automatically went into survival mode.  Details didn't matter.  Prayers specifically for a miracle were the only thing that were relevant besides his state of well being.  Faith, hope, and tons of prayers were the only light God showed me.


"When people work, their wages are not a gift.  Workers earn what they receive, but people are declared righteous because of their faith, not because of their work."  Romans 4:4-5

THE NEWS WAS GREAT!  He's awake!!!  It's been seven days today and he woke up from the coma on the sixth day!  This means that maybe God wanted to wait until the last minute, but also not be too hesitant (the doctors said after the first seventy-two hours that the first seven to ten days would be the most crucial).  Thank you, God!  He is breathing on his OWN, his heart is back into it's own rhythm, he is responsive, talking some, and AWAKE!!!!

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope."  Psalm 130:5

God is so good!  Does he still need prayers?  YES!  Is everything going to be okay?  I can't answer that.  However, God DOES answer prayers! I've known this & shouldn't be amazed that God answered our prayers.  I know that some of you know me and some of you don't, but I'm asking you now to pray for this young man.  God knows. 

The good and positive things in this situation?  That one was tough.  The BEST part is being reminded that my God is still in the miracle business.  He was the ONLY person who could've saved my sweet friend's precious life and he did!  I do believe this young man will be given a second  chance at life!!  How amazing is that?! 

I'm begging you all to tell those you love and care for exactly how you feel.  We all know we aren't guaranteed another day or breath.  However, some of us seem to forget this.  I promise you that you won't regret letting those you hold dear to your heart exactly how you feel about them.  I haven't had the chance to tell my dear friend exactly how I feel about him, but I'm next to certain that God is going to give me that chance.  Remember, God is STILL in the miracle business!   Have a blessed weekend, dear friends and thank God for the people he has brought into your life!



No comments:

Post a Comment