Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dr. Mom

Happy Friday Eve!  Yes, I'm excited about the weekend as always!  It seems like a month has passed since last weekend.  I told God not long ago that I needed our family lives to slow down.  I was specific and let him know that soccer twice a week plus baseball and a toddler (and all the other day to day things) has this single mommy worn out!  He answered my prayer and gave me a different kind of busy as opposed to the "go, go, go" type of busy.

On April 28th, 2012 it was a gorgeous Saturday and "family day."  I took my seven year old and his little buddy to practice baseball at the batting cages.  I don't know much about baseball, but I figured I better show him what I knew and help them out.  We had a blast, laughed, ran, played (on the playground), and came home to practice more baseball! 

Later, my parents asked if my oldest could go fishing.  Ahhh!  Sure!  I can fish, but as you all know I do NOT like critters (that limits fishing because I don't have enough guts to stomach putting a worm on a hook).  I skipped the fishing trip and went to see the big catch!  Things were great!  My oldest wanted to play at his grandparents and I was ready for a little time to catch up on some housework. 

Sometimes my smart phone is SO smart that it doesn't even ring and a voicemail will pop up.  I can't tell you what the voicemail said other than my seven year old had hurt his arm and my parents were on their way to the ER.  I flew out the door in mismatched clothes and flip flops and sped all the way to the ER.  I did a ton of praying and let the tears flow then, because I knew it was soon going to be time for me to be calm and comforting.  You might think this was our first trip to the ER, but trust me it wasn't.  However, it doesn't make it any easier. 

I did my best, reassured my sweetie, and stuck by his side throughout his visit even though I was falling apart on the inside and my heart ached for my little guy.  I went all out and let him have ANY drink and food he wanted (this isn't usually an option).  Given the options of a caffeine and sugar packed mt. dew, coke, etc.  he chose water of course!  Funny, how that works. 

As he was riding his scooter literally twenty minutes before, he hit a dip in the grass and had a wreck.  Thank God he had his helmet on.  However, this quickly brought tons of insight into my mind.  I prayed some more and thanked God that it wasn't worse.  I must have forgotten how our lives can change in the blink of an eye and nothing in this world is a guarantee.  I won't forget that for a LONG time.  I promise. 

The doctor told me that he was just scraped up and there was no way his arm was broken or he'd be crying more.  I didn't open my mouth and let him know that I am doing my best to raise my boys to be pretty tough.  X-rays came back and showed a broken radius.  Okay, check please!

I'll go on and let you know that I'm not used to having two children that can't help themselves.  There's only one of me and I knew immediately I was going to need help.  Have I ever mentioned I loathe asking for help?  I try to be supermom, but it's impossible. My youngest is almost 2 and my oldest is almost 7.  What do we do now?

Yesterday was the hardest day I've ever witnessed with my seven year old.  We saw a surgeon and had surgery in the same day (don't worry, bunny went to surgery also and he is healing up very nicely with a permanent smile on his face).  I know that if I panic my child will too.  I have to tell you that two elderly family members went with me and both are EXTREMELY panicky.  I had to give myself several pep talks and calm three others.  Don't panic!

I asked the nurses to tell my sweet panicky family members that only one person could go back.  My son and I laid in the hospital bed laughing and playing.  I went on and on about how brave he (and bunny--a stuffed animal) were.  I actually had him EXCITED about having surgery!  Mission accomplished!  The worst feeling in the world in this case was fearing my child would have complications, be scared, in pain, etc. 

He went right back with the nurses and I'll never forget having to let go of that sweet little hand.  Then, it was time to wait.  It didn't take long, but it felt like an eternity.  The first GREAT news was that he went right to sleep with no complications!  Thank you, God.  I was concerned about his heart condition, but the doctors assured me he would be fine.  He rolled back into his room and was a champ! 

I'm not sure why this happened, but I'm guessing it had to do with my prayer of being so busy running two children to different sports at least three times a week after work.  You see, God DID answer my prayer.  He just failed to tell me I needed to sharpen up on my nursing skills and be extremely patient.  I have to remind myself (how could I forget?!) that I have BOYS and they act like boys!  Who'd have thought?

So, God has given us exactly what I'd prayed for.  We have a four to six week break from sports, but doctor mom is exhausted.  Thanks to the amazing family I have, I've had some help and I'm beyond blessed.  I'm so glad my son is okay and pain free!

Don't ever forget what you have right in front of your eyes.  Don't take it for granted, because it CAN be taken from you in an instant.  I'm so glad that we have an awesome God that continues to bless my family, even though I don't deserve it.  All of you moms know how it feels to have both halves of your heart in your child or children.  I know my priorities and don't ever forget them.  God comes first and my family is second.  I'd have never made it through these past six days without God period.  I can't live my life without God and I'm so thankful for his healing hands that are healing my son's arm as we speak.  We are on the road to recovery and new adventures of a life with two children who always need my help and constant care.  It's worth every minute of it! 

I've made sure to take some time out and thank God.  I don't want or need for anything and I'm extremely content.  I have two beautiful boys and a new twist on the busy life of a single mommy!  I'll take it any day! I'm ready to see how my new job of "Doctor Mom" turns out.  So far, so good!   Have a wonderful weekend, sweet friends.  I hope you all are aware of your blessings.  If you aren't, just ask God to open your eyes and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment