Friday, April 20, 2012

Coach Mom

I'm so glad the long anticipated weekend is here & I'm sure if you are like most you are glad to have a two day break from the work week as well! 

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some time to relax this weekend with my sweeties.  Recently, my oldest son has started soccer AND baseball (he's seven).  This means after work is done every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, & Friday this mommy loads up the car and runs to practice and games.  My oldest loves sports and I think it's great for him in every aspect. Last night I was asked to coach a boys team (ages 4-6).  At this age, they don't have referees so the coaches run the fields, make the calls, and encourage these sweet little ones.  I had a blast!  I've been a soccer mom for two years & I always thought coaching would be too much for me.  I've decided to coach next season and I can NOT wait!! What's wrong with me!  Someone needs to put a shock collar on me :)  I'm tired!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not sleepy, just tired of the "go, go, go" mode.  However, I wouldn't trade those precious moments for anything in the world. I never dreamed I'd sign up for MORE responsibilities, but my little soccer star looked me in the eyes and said "Mom, I wish you were my coach."  That's all it took.  Done.  Sealed.  Stamped.  That's it.  I'm in! 

 I'm so glad he has the opportunity to play and isn't restricted from sports.  Every year it is a possibility that he will be told he can't play sports.  It's always based on a pediatric cardiologist's recommendation every year. 

I knew whenever my seven year old was old enough to have a personality of his own that he had a special heart.  I couldn't ask for a more compassionate and giving little boy.  His heart is filled with a yearning to do good things for others.  It warms my heart!  When he was two, we were sent to see a pediatric cardiologist due to a "clicking" in his heart.  After all the tests were done and the wait to finally see someone who specializes in the area, I was told that my son had BAV (Bicuspid Aortic Valve-- in his heart).  This means that a healthy human has three valves that send blood to and from the heart.  My B only has two.  The two he has work harder than they should have to because they are working extra hard to make up for the loss of the third. My B's heart valves also leak extra blood back into his heart.  This isn't supposed to happen.  I was told in 2007 that my son wouldn't ever be able to play sports, lift weights, ride roller coasters, and would more than likely have to have surgery whenever his heart was fully grown.  Might seem minor, but it's not an arm or a leg.  It's his heart and we all know this is THE MOST vital organ needed for survival.

I used to consume myself with my son's condition that can't ever get better.  It can only stay the same or get worse.  I don't do that anymore.  God is in control and he knows what he is doing.  I trust God 110% with my little B's heart.  I've finally grasped the concept that this is the way things are and we will still have a life filled with happiness no matter what comes our way.  Focusing on this imperfection and serious health matter did me NO good.  Does it ever do anyone any good to focus on things out of our control?  I think not.  It IS hard to give these things to God, but I promise you that when you give him anything and everything you will have peace. 

I'm so blessed and couldn't ask for anything more nor do I want for anything other than my sweet boys to have the best life ever!  I'm going to have and am having a great life.  No, it isn't what I planned.  No, it's not perfect.  No, it's not always amazing.  It's simply the way I choose to view things and I choose to be positive, happy, encouraging, and do my best to be the best mom &friend (and all the other roles I play) that I can be.  I want the same for you. Life is like a game of soccer.  It doesn't matter whether you win or lose.  What matters is that you have fun and are happy, enjoying it!   Make it a great day and smile even when it's hard to smile.  If I can, you can too.



No comments:

Post a Comment