Thursday, May 10, 2012

Attitude Is Everything

Good morning!  It's officially Friday eve!!  Yes, I'm ready for the weekend :)   I hope you all are doing wonderful and are all filled with happiness.  Life is short and I think it's important to be happy & have a positive attitude. 

I have to admit, sometimes I'm not always chipper.  I've learned that whenever life throws a curve ball my way to try to deal with it and instantly go right back to being happy, chipper, and smiling!

This morning I wasn't so chipper.  I've told you all before that we have "visitation" with my oldest son's cat, Sammy.  It's funny.  Have I told you I'm not a cat person?  Last night, my seven year old had one hour to make a visual model of his invention for school.  He chose to make a cat car (which means mommy has to make an invention).  The invention had to be something that could help you do a task.  I asked him what task a cat car could help him do.  He told me it was designed to hit the snooze button on his alarm for him and to drive himself to the door where he could go outside to the liter box! 

I have finished the cat car!  Sammy the cat stays at our house on school nights and goes back to grandmother's house every morning.  The idea behind the "cat visitation" was to get my oldest son unafraid to sleep alone. 

This morning I jumped out of bed when I realized that NOT ONE of my THREE alarms had gone off (yes, my son gets the "snooze button syndrome" from his mommy!)!   I jumped up with Sammy on me and my oldest had snuck into my bed(Sammy also ATE the third power balance bracelet!)  I ran around like a mad woman to get everyone out the door and to school and daycare on time.  We made it!  Well, almost.  How could I forget the cat car invention at home along with my oldest son's sling for his broken arm?!?   

Rush, rush, rush.  My seven year old said "Moooooom!  I feel like you are rushing me and I don't like to be rushed!"  Guess what?  I don't like to rush either.  After I took the two vital items back to school, I realized that instead of letting a hectic morning ruin my day, I'd take a different approach.  I still have plenty of time to be where I need to be and make it on time.  There is no reason a crazy hour and half should define the rest of my day.  It won't.  I apologized to my sweet boys and told them I was sorry for rushing them to be out the door on time. 

My seven year old cat lover is learning this lesson.  I tell him usually once a day "B, you need to change your attitude."  No one wants to hear complaining and griping.  He hangs out with an avid complainer, but that doesn't mean my B should act like someone else.  I put him on my bed and give him a few minutes to think about POSITIVE things and then when he has decided that life isn't so bad, the world isn't going to stop spinning, I let him get up.  Funny how that works!  He always gets up and the complaining ends and he is happy again. 

"Surely God does not reject a blameless man or strengthen the hands of evildoers.  He will fill yet your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."  Job 8:20-21

If I'm trying to teach this lesson to my child, then I can NOT act that way.  Think about it.  Who wants to call a business and hear a rude voice on the other end?  No one wants to hear griping and complaining either.  I promise you that everyone has walked through a rough path at some point in life.  I admire those who smile when I know they are hurting.  That takes a strong person to do so. 

I've had plenty of times where I had a TERRIBLE attitude.  Sometimes it takes more than an hour for me to change my mindset.  The great news is I am aware of my thinking and actions and when I notice I'm not happy, I change my mood quickly!  We are responsible for our OWN actions and thoughts.  It's NOT someone elses fault that I overslept.  No one can MAKE you feel any way.  We chose our own emotions.  I know, I know..  But, you don't know what so and so did!  It doesn't matter who has hurt you.  What matters is how YOU and I react. 

"If our minds are ruled by our desires, we will die.  But if our minds are ruled by the Spirit, we will have life and peace."  Romans 8:6

If you are a parent, friend, or work outside the home then guess what?  Your actions affect those around you!  Try being happy and nice if things are bad.  See what happens!  Laughter is contagious and so is your attitude.  Attitude is everything.  I believe it reflects our hearts and I want the world to see a happy heart out of me.  Which do you want? 

Try being nice today to a stranger, friend, or loved one (a simple random act of kindness, smile, kind words, etc) and see how much further that will get you as opposed to the alternative.  Whomever said it takes more muscles to smile than frown knew EXACTLY what they were talking about.  You never know what someone else is going through, so be nice and make someones day!

"Our Lord is great and powerful!  He understands everything.  The Lord helps the poor, but smears the wicked in the dirt."  Psalm 147:5-6

Make it a great day (and if you are having trouble SURELY knowing it's Friday Eve will cheer you up!) and I pray that you all see God's blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment